Berry Smush better known as Eton Mess to most is a favourite among all the grand-children in the Larkin family.
Their Gran is responsible for making huge bowls of the deliciousness every time we have a garden party during the summer.
It is a fail safe dessert with little prep and as my Isabella says ” Mom I do love Gran’s Berry Smush” .
This is my kinda dessert because on these rare and beautiful sunny days who needs to be in a kitchen being perfect.
Defo not me !!
This is a slightly healthier version as it is made with delicious Irish Greek yogurt and cream instead of just all cream and I totally cheated and bought the little mini meringues.
They are super easy to make and kids love piping them and sure it doesn’t matter a hoot what they look like ‘cos they are being turned into smush anyway !!
Enjoy the sunshine this weekend,
With fun & deliciousness,
What You'll Need
- 3 large egg whites ( room temperature)
- 200g caster sugar
- few drops red food colour (optional)
- Or good quality shop bought mini meringues
- 250mls cream
- 250mls Irish Vanilla Greek yogurt
- I vanilla pod / 1 tsp vanilla extract ( the good stuff )
- 500g berries ( a combo of strawberries and raspberries work great)
- Squeeze lemon juice
If Making Meringues
- baking tray
- greaseproof paper
- oven gloves
- weighing scales
- electric whisk
- mixing bowl
- piping bag
How to Do It
- 1Preheat the oven to 120°C/gas mark 1/2
In a bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, mixing continuously until combined
Spread the meringue mix onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and place into the oven for 2 hours. Switch off the oven and leave the meringue inside until it has cooled completely
- 1Using a fork smush up the berries to create some juice. Leave large chunks, little pieces and juice all combined. Squeeze over some lemon juice and allow to macerate while the meringues cook ( or 20 mins ) This is the secret - the citric acid from the lemons intensifies the sweetness of the strawberries. Delish!
- 2Whisk the cream and fold in the yogurt and the vanilla.
- 3In a large bowl, combine the meringues, creamy mixture and berries all together.
Spoon into glasses / bowls
Chill in fridge for 30mins ( if you can wait - if not just dive straight in )
Garnish with one or two mini meringues on top.