What You'll Need
- 2 nests of noodles
- 1 tbsp Cornflour and 1 tbsp oil
- Spray oil
- 2 chicken fillets
- corn flour & soy sauce & Chinese 5 spice – for velveting
- Spring onions
- Red Pepper
- Yellow Pepper
- Sugar snaps optional
- Baby corn optional
Marinade & Sauce
- ¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp Chilli powder/fresh chilli
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 100mls water
- Carrots – flowers
- Red Pepper – hearts
- Yellow Pepper – stars
- Quails eggs – hardboiled optional
- Muffin Tray
- Wok/frying pan
- Chopping board
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring spoons
How to Do It
Prep Your Noodles
- 1Preheat the oven to 220oc. Boil a kettle of water. Soak the noodles for 5 mins and allow to soften. Drain, allow to cool and combine with 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp corn flour. Toss the noddle all together.
- 2Spritz the muffin tins with spray oil. Mould the noodles in and around the muffin tin and using your fingers create a hollow in the centre. Spritz with oil on top.
- 3Place in the oven and bake for 15mins until crisp and golden brown.
Now For The Chicken
- 1To velvet the chicken – chop the chicken into long thin strips.
Stir in the corn flour, 5 spice & soy sauce until it forms a thin paste.
Add in the chicken and allow to marinade for 20mins while you prepare the vegetables and make the sauce.
Sauces & Shapes
- 1To make the sauce combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2Cut the spring onions with a scissors, smash the garlic or grate.
- 3Peel the carrot and cut out flower shapes
- 4Deseed the pepper and cut out heart and star shapes.
Now For The Stir-fry
- 1Have a cup of water ready beside the wok.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in the wok. Add in all the vegetables and chicken and cook quickly moving all the time for about 5 mins.
Pour in the sauce and cook for another 3 mins.
- 1Remove from the heat and serve into the birds nests.
Garnish with fresh coriander and quail eggs
More food styling tips below...
- A bamboo place mat is typically Asian so looks great here.
- Its nice to save 1 or 2 of the vegetable shapes to garnish the dish with
- The quails eggs are tiny and fit into the tiny birds nest and make it look real and eggs (boiled and fried are often included in Asian cookery)
- The banana leaf printable is so cool to finish the food styled look of this dish.