What You'll Need
1/2 chicken stock cube
100g cheddar cheese ( grated )
200g Butternut squash
Optional topping :
Saucepans and lids
Sieve & / or food processor
How to Do It
Genie "Mac"kers Time
- 1Put the butternut squash on to boil. Put the pasta on to boil.
- 2In a small saucepan melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute until it looks sandy and grainy. Gradually stir in the milk little by little. It will soak up as you go and thicken and then add a little more until it is all gone.
- 3Crumble in the stock cube and stir well until it is all dissolved.
- 4Stir in the grated cheese and cream.
- 5Drain the butternut squash - blitz in a food processor until it forms a fine puree. For extra smooth - pass through a sieve.
- 6Drain the pasta ( great if there is a little bit of water left. That will help the sauce ).
- 7Stir the butternut squash into the sauce.
- 8Pour the pasta into sauce mix and stir.
- 9Serve: either pour into an ovenproof dish top with breadcrumbs and bake for 15mins or just serve in bowls and top with a little pesto.
- 10Top Tip - Add in some fried chorizo to really raise the flavour game!
This is such a rich, delicious comfort food dish a great idea is to serve it with a light fresh green salad in the summer.
Baby gem lettuce and a nice olive oil and lemon dressing is lovely or a big bowl of tender stem broccoli would be yum!