We are still well and truly basking in the fabulousness of BBQ season so tonight I will be on the The Six O’Clock Show TV3 teaching you how to make her Chicken Satay Skewers with a Pomegranate, Cucumber and Mint Salad !
These satay skewers are an all time favourite of mine and my family. I learned the very traditional recipe while doing a cookery course in Bali, Indonesia years ago. I have adapted that to now suit our busy family life-style.
Sometimes when we reveal this recipe to children I refer to it as Peanut Butter Chicken Sticks and for some of our more picky eaters this really works particularly if they know they love peanut butter already.
This recipe is simple and 1 sauce doubles up as a marinade and a dipping sauce. It is perfect for the BBQ, griddle pan or even to bake in the oven.
I have created a delicious, fresh and kid friendly salad too. No leaves !! After much research I have discovered that when kids see leaves they say no !! But this combination of foods presents differently and it means they become much more open to at least try some of the new foods. Genius – if I do say so myself.
I hope your family love these chicken satay skewers as much as mine.
With fun and deliciousness,
What You'll Need
4 – 6 chicken fillets
3-4 heaped tbsp of peanut butter
200mls full fat coconut milk
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3 tsp turmeric
Juice 1/2 lime
How to Do It
Bamboo Who ?
- 1Soak the bamboo skewers in boiling water for 15 mins . This will hydrate them and prevent them scorching on the BBQ. Light up the BBQ.
- 2Cut the chicken into long thin strips ( optional - flatten them out a little) and thread onto the skewers.
- 3To make the sauce, which doubles as a marinade and a dipping sauce combine the following ingredients in a bowl - peanut butter, coconut milk, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic and onion powder and turmeric.
- 4Heat in the microwave for 1 minute to combine all the ingredients or warm over a low heat on the hob. This will combine all the ingredients and allow the flavours to develop.
- 5Separate the sauce into 2 bowls.
Cover one with cling film, pop in the fridge and this will be used as the dipping sauce later.
- 6Tilt the bowl a little to dip and roll the skewers in the marinade. Make sure they are well coated . For a more full coverage skewer you can chill them down for 30mins / 1 hours and then re-coat in a second layer of marinade.
- 7Brush with a little oil and place on the BBQ. Cook for 12 - 15mins.
Serve the skewers with the dipping sauce on the side and garnish with a cucumber, pomegranate and lime salad.