What You'll Need
- 250g candy melts
- 6 waterballoons
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Popping candy and sprinkles
For the Eton mess Ice-Cream
100 mls ready-made custard
100 mls double cream
2 meringue nests
Ice cubes – to fill half a large bowl
10 tablespoons of table salt
- Cling film
- Baking paper
- Tooth pick/ Bamboo skewer
How to Do It
- 1Pour the candy melts into a bowl.
Place the bowl over a saucepan of warm water and stir until melted. Or melt in the microwave on for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir and repeat this step until chocolate is completely melted. Pour the chocolate into a cereal bowl. Leave to cool until it is not hot.
- 2Blow up the balloons until they are about the size of your hand and tie a knot in the top. Dip the balloon in the chocolate.
- 3Sprinkle with popping candy and sprinkles. Pop them n the fridge for about 20 minutes to harden.
- 4Using a skewer pop the balloon and just peel out any little bits stuck on the inside.
- 5Fill with home made 'Fro-Yo' or 'science ice cream' or Eton mess Ice-cream and decorate with some great food art food fruit skewer.
Eton Mess Ice-cream
- 1Mix the custard and the cream together in a medium bowl.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the ice cubes together with the salt. Place the bowl with the custard on top of the ice.
- 3Now with an electric whisk, beat the mixture until it becomes thick and frozen, this will take about 10-15 minutes.
- 4Wash the strawberries and cut off the green stalks, Then cut into small pieces.
- 5Crush up the meringues. The fold them into the ice cream with the strawberries. And eat straight away.
Place a piece of cling film over the kitchen counter or line a baking tray with a piece of baking paper. This is great for collecting the mess and keeping the kitchen kinda’ tidy.
When dipping the balloon get a friend to help here – you hold the balloon (now coated in chocolate) and get them to sprinkle on the popping candy or sprinkles
If the candy melt mixture gets too thick, add a little vegetable oil and stir it round. This helps to thin it out and get it moving again. Never use water.
Watch the end of the video to see what happens if you put the balloon in while the chocolate is still very hot!