Breakfasts can be a little trickier during the school holidays. The longing for a bowl of wholesome hot porridge is gone, as is routine and sometimes we can fall into the trap of reaching for the more processed options.
Here is a really simple, fun and innovative way to jazz up your porridge for these hot, sunny mornings.
This may sound a little crazy but wait until you tell the kids they can have ice-cream in their porridge .
By freezing your bananas in little chunks and then blitzing them up you get the creamiest sort of ice cream mixture.
Add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to it to bring out the sweetness and then stir this into hot porridge. It cools it right down for little ones and they think this is extraordinary that they are getting ice cream for breakfast. Mum must be gone bonkers !!
Another lovely idea is to add a heaped teaspoon of peanut butter or berries to the banana for an extra punch of flavour.
Then, in true Foodoppi style I love to decorate this for the girls with a little food art. We are never too old for a very cute and simple teddy bear on top.
*Remember for the likes of Emilia ( our Under 1’s) do not give them honey.
I hope your little ones enjoy it as much as mine.
With fun & deliciousness,
What You'll Need
water / milk of choice
honey / maple syrup
Optional ; peanut butter
saucepan / mircowave
How to Do It
- 1Prep Time: Before you head to bed, peel 2 bananas and chop up into about 5 pieces each and pop in a freezer bag.
- 2The next morning make your porridge as usual.
- 3Take the bananas out of the freezer, blitz in the food processor.
Add a drop of water or milk of choice to get the mixture moving.
Add a little sweetness from the maple syrup or honey if desired.
Add in peanut butter here or berries too if you wish.
- 4Spoon the steamy hot porridge into the bowls as usual, the in full theatrical style place on a big scoop of "ice-cream" on top. Allow the kids to stir it in. It should be eaten just barely warm.
(the way kids love it )
- 5Then to decorate, cut 3 circles of banana for everyone and hand out 3 blueberries.
Place 2 banana circles at each top corner for ears and then one in the centre for the mouth and then in between place 2 blueberries for the eyes and 1 for his nose.
- 6Have lots of fun and enjoy. It is the summer holidays after all.