These Italian inspired Chicken Kievs are a really delicious and special dinner. They take just a little bit of effort but the results are super. A great idea is to batch prepare them using fresh chicken fillets while you have a little mess and then freeze extras to have for another day. These also work amazingly well for summer parties, having friends round and even for hosting a Communion or Confirmation at home. You can make lots of them done quite quickly when you get a system going and then just pop in a large disposable foil tray cover and bake the next day. No hassle and serve with delicious salads and potatoes.
What You'll Need
4 chicken fillets
3 tbsp Aisling’s Kid friendly pesto ( see recipe below )
7 slices good quality chorizo
12 balls mini mozzarella ( slightly frozen )
100g wholewheat breadcrumbs
2 packets of gnocchi ( shop bought or homemade )
3 tbsp garlic butter
2 tbsp regular butter and olive oil
Mini mozzarella balls
How to Do It
- 1Preheat the oven to 180oC. Prepare your ingredients. Line an oven tray with parchment paper or tin foil. Drain the mozzarella balls.
- 2To prepare the chicken, using a sharp knife, butterfly the chicken breast halves: Slice along the length of each breast, and, working parallel to the cutting board, continue slicing until nearly all the way through (but not completely), so that each breast opens like a book.
- 3Set each butterflied chicken breast half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap and, using a rolling pin flatten out a little more. For the kids depending on the age sometimes half if plenty for them.
- 4When the chicken is flat, spoon over the basil pesto first, then place in the slices of chorizo first and finally the par frozen mozzarella. Resist the temptation to over fill.It will be impossible to roll.
- 5Roll up, secure with a cocktail stick if you need and then dip in flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
Pop on the oven tray, spritz with oil and bake in the oven for 25 - 30mins.
- 6Serve with the bambini roastini and salad skewers.
- 1To make the roastini - heat up 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp on an oven tray. Pop on the gnocchi and bake for 20mins until they are deliciously golden brown. Turn after 10mins. Optional: top with some garlic butter and parmesan cheese