Did you know that Jammy Dodgers are named after a character in the Beano comics?
Oh yes, the one and only Roger the Dodger. Why ? Jammy is a slang word for “lucky” in the UK. So a Jammy Dodger is a scamp or scoundrel who can talk his way out of trouble.
A simple explanations of a Jammy (also Jammie) Dodger, it is a biscuit made from two layers of shortbread-like cookies filled with lots of different options. Strawberry Jam is the classic and the best in my opinion.
So now for the million dollar question – do you have a lovable and mischievous little rogue like Roger the Dodger in your life the you can share these yum biscuits with ?
I believe, in these situations – quality over quantity!
Choose a delicious, where possible homemade snack food, eat it, savour every moment of yumminess and be satisfied.
Baking for me is all about simple maths and developing ways to remember recipes – I love this one – I use an old shortbread biscuit recipe ratio – 3:2:1
3 parts flour
2 parts butter
1 icing sugar
These Valentine’s Day biscuits are an ideal way to spend a chilly spring day with the little ones you love getting creative and having quality together and learning a little as they go.
With fun & deliciousness,
What You'll Need
300g flour ( plain )
100g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
120g raspberry or strawberry
2 large baking trays ( lined with greaseproof paper )
2 cookie cutters – one about 6-7cm and another about 3 cm
How to Do It
- 1Sift the flour & icing sugar into the bowl.
- 2Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into flour mixture until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- 3Make a well in the centre and stir in the egg yolk until it forms a soft ball of dough.
- 4wrap in Cling film and allow to chill for 30mins.
- 5Roll out gently ( to about 4mm thick) and begin to cut out the 2 size hearts.
- 6Place all of the hearts on tray and bake for 15 - 20mins until firm and have almost no real colour.
- 7Remove from the oven and place on a wire trays to cool.
Fill with jam and serve with a giant cup of tea.
The pastry is very short so it’s important to let it rest; this makes it easier to handle.