This soup is loaded with seasonal winter vegetables. It is so hearty and delicious and loved by everyone who tries it. Our Santa Soup delivers its own gift of nourishment by being packed full of anti-oxidants and vitamin A ideal for warding off those winter colds.
Lentils are a super food. They are cheap, require no preparation, slowly release energy to keep us full all day and are a great source of valuable protein. They pack out the soup and also add a lovely rich creamy texture without adding to many extra calories.
To make a luxurious version of this soup blitz in a little cream and butter the end. It gives a beautiful rich flavour and lustre to the soup.
What You'll Need
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
100g cauliflower ( approx half )
100g carrots ( approx 1 )
200g butternut squash ( approx half )
50g red lentils
2 tsp. onion powder
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
300 mls boiling hot water
300 mls milk
Seasoning ( 1/2 tsp salt )
Optional : When blitzing finish with 25g butter and 50mls cream
1 tin alphabet spaghetti / alphabet spaghetti
saucepan & lid
How to Do It
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells.......
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the oil.
- 2Add in the vegetables. Stir continuously for 2 minutes.
- 3Add in the lentils and onion powder and cook for another 1 minute.
- 4Pour in the hot water and add the stock cube. Bring to the boil and then simmer. Cook for 20 - 30 minutes until all the vegetable are soft.
- 5Add in the milk, bring to the boil and season to taste.
- 6Remove from the heat and liquidise everything together.
- 7To serve, drain and rinse the tin of alphabetti spaghetti and arrange the letters Santa’s Soup on top.
- 8Alternatively, portion up the soup and freeze in air tight containers or strong freezer bags.