What You'll Need
- 1 large egg white
- 40g icing sugar
- 40g plain flour
- 20g butter – melted
- Food colouring – Green, orange, black, pink and white
For the Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 85g caster sugar
- 85g plain flour
- 3 kiwis- peeled and sliced
- 250ml double cream – whipped
- 1 tin of mandarin oranges -drained
- 2 x 18cm round cake tins with removable bases – greased
- 2 x 18cm round discs of baking paper
- Electric mixer
- 5 small piping bags
- Print out of Leprechaun pattern
- Low tack tape
How to Do It
- 1Print out the Leprechaun design on a piece of A4 paper. Put one circle of parchment over it and trace the template.
- 2Mix all the ingredients together for the pattern.
Put a teaspoon of mixture in one bowl and colour it with a little white food colouring.
Divide the remaining mixture between 4 bowls and add in few drops of green, orange, black and a tiny amount of pink food colouring into a different bowl.
- 3Fill each piping bag, trace around the outline with black and then follow the colours in the picture.
- 4Slide the baking paper onto the tin base and place into the cake ring. Put it into the freezer for 15 minutes.
For the Cake
- 1Put the eggs and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl.
Whisk for about 5 minutes with an electrical mixer until very light and fluffy
Sieve in the flour and very gently fold into the egg mixture.
Say Hi Mr Leprechaun
- 1Remove the Leprechaun cake pattern from the freezer.
Divide the cake mixture between greased and lined two cake tins. Bake immediately @180oC for about 15 minutes.
Now For The Food Styling
- 1Lightly soak the sponge with the juices from the tinned mandarins.
Put the kiwis over the sponge, then top with a layer of cream. Next arrange the mandarin oranges on top.
Then place the leprechaun sponge on top.
- Cover the Leprechaun pattern with a round 18cm disc of baking paper. To make it easier to trace, hold the paper in place by putting a few pieces of low tack tape around it.
- When the cake is baked , allow to cool on a wire tray and then peel off the baking paper.
- Make sure the cake is fully cool before decorating.
- “Top of the morning to ya…..” you now have a perfect Leprechaun cake!