Our wonderfully talented baking queen Louise Lennox is joining Marian Finucane this Saturday in the RTE radio 1 studio to tell us how to satisfy that doughnut craving but a much healthier and easier alternative to make at home – THE DUFFIN !
The Duffin is a cross between a doughnut and muffin.
They are very quick to make. The cinnamon and jam in the middle give it that doughnut taste. If you are craving that doughnut taste but don’t fancy deep frying anything try making The Duffin.
Great fun to make with children this weekend.
What You'll Need
300g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon bread soda
200g light brown sugar
80ml sunflower oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 teaspoons strawberry jam
50g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
50g caster sugar
Mixing Bowl x 2
Tablespoon & teaspoon
Microwave bowl / small saucepan
How to Do It
- 1Preheat the oven to 185oC. Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
- 2Sift together the flour and bread soda into a large bowl. Then add the sugar and mix.
- 3In another bowl whisk the sunflower oil, egg, buttermilk, vinegar and vanilla extract. Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
- 4Fill the muffin tray with half the mix, then add in a teaspoon of jam and top with the remaining mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check they are cooked by inserting a cocktail stick in the middle. If it comes out clean they are ready. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then unmould.
- 5Melt the unsalted butter. Mix the cinnamon and caster sugar together. Brush each Duffin with the butter then cover in the cinnamon sugar. These are best eaten while still warm.
Louise’s Top Tips
- Don’t over mix the ingredients as this will make the ‘Duffins’ dense.
- Instead of jam try putting chocolate spread in the middle.