What You'll Need
1 box shortcrust pastry ( 375g )
Skinless Sausages ( 12 )
Knife & fork
How to Do It
- 1Preheat oven to 180c. Grease on oven tray.
- 2Unroll the pastry - cut into 8cm strips. Cut each strip in half . Work with pieces 8x12cm.
- 3Crack an egg and whisk.
- 4Place the sausage in the centre of the pastry - roll the up. Have the join on the underside.
- 5Squeeze in along the sides at the 1/3 mark and 2/3 mark - then in between score or cut slits with a knife to create the knuckles.
- 6Pop the almond on top to be the finger nail . Brush with egg wash to glaze.
- 7Bake in the oven for 20 mins until golden brown.
Ok, so here’s what you need to know !
There are 2 types of pastry ideal for this recipe and you have to make a choice :
- Puff Pastry is the ultimate for taste and texture. It is delicious, buttery and flaky. BUT, it does not hold the shape of the witches fingers. So if you go with this one you choose flavour over aesthetics.
- Shortcrust Pastry is what is in the recipe – this holds the brilliant spooky witches finger shape and taste yum, but just not quiet as yum as puff pastry.
As a cool trick you can pop a little ketchup on top of the sausage before you roll it in the pastry, then when the slits are cut for the knuckles the ketchup oozes out as blood.